Saturday, April 14, 2007

...Who is the Head of the Home...?

I haven't seen Tejiri--my nephew in six weeks. He is eleven. And they are on holiday. So, when I stopped -by this afternoon, he was ecstatic. He almost knocked me over.
I'm the superman--who can do anything, answer any and all questions in the eyes of this young lad. Before I could ask...where is your daddy, he shot me with a barrage of questions.


TJ: uncle , who is the head of the home...?

ME: ...which home,,? Daddy is the head of course...

TJ:...no...no.. I mean who is the head of a home in a family...?

ME: [without weighing the question]...I said the ' father' is the head of any home'

TJ: [with a clenched fist thrust into the air]...yes, yes, I said it...my teacher was wrong...

ME: [absolutely scared of the import of this idea...that his teacher is wrong,]...junior, your teacher cannot be wrong..why do you say your teacher is wrong?

TJ: [looked very excited]...uncle, we were having 'Citizenship'...and { Ms Louisa} my teacher asked the question...'who is the head of the home?'
...and I said the 'father' is the head of the home...she said I was wrong. And we argued. And everyone was blaming me for arguing with the teacher...

*Phew!

*I have to tread carefully here. otherwise, I 'll be 'miseducating' this young lad...teachers are not, under any circumstance suppose to be wrong. If teachers are made to appear wrong, the student(s) suffers...

ME: ...junior, who did your teacher say is the head of the home...?

TJ: ...she said both parents are the head of the home. They are equal she said...

ME: [let me try and confuse this small boy with some grammar..hmm ..hmmm..I cleared my throat..]...you see junior, your teacher was right. In a home,em, both parents(mother and father )...have what is known as complementary equality. It means they both help each other mutually...they put heads together in the decision making..they both weigh everything together...you understand?


*Junior with arms folded across his chest was looking passively--disinterested in my explanation. I guess....

TJ:...uncle, but the Bible says that the 'man' is the head of the home. And that women should be submissive to their husbands. Are you saying the Bible is wrong?

ME:...(Chineke!)...you know what junior, let me see your dad...we'll continue this discussion immediately I finish with your dad ..ok?

TJ: [..nodding his head...]...ok!

* That was how I temporarily escaped from the young inquisitive mind...Anyway, they are on holiday right now, I intend to make my research and go back to 'floor' him in this debate. The teacher must/cannot be wrong!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

soobscure, tell ur nephew that the head of the home depends on alorof shit going on in the house.
if the man has a fat wallet and can take care of wifey adequately, change cars,build a mansion for mother-in-law and father-in-law,he becomes the head of the home.he will tell everybody what to do.
if however the reverse is the case, wifey earns more than hubby,she obviously becomes the head whether he likes it or not. period.that is the reality on ground presently.

Ulrich said...

You have to carry out a research for an eleven yr old? Com'on.

chidi said...

ok, i thot i posted a comment about this topic yesterday??? or didn't i? well, i have to say that i agree with the teacher about the fact that both parents are the head of the home, but i have to disagree with you concerning what you said about teachers always being right. When i was schooling in 9ja, i went to a really good school but i found out when i went abraod that most of my teachers fed my shit & they did not know what they are talking about.

so-obscure said...

Chidi, I appreciate your opinion here...but, don't get me wrong; some teachers don't actually do their home-work thoroughly before stepping into the classroom...sad!

In the same breath, I don't think it will very 'wise' to tell an eleven yr old--in form one, that the teacher is outrightly wrong. He or she may not be able to handle such 'truth'...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
IJEOMA said...

both partners work together.. no need for titles.

Eating & The Woman said...

*lol* you need to provide an update on this!