Monday, April 09, 2007

Virgin(al) Media Lapses...!

For awhile now, I've been in a spiral battle with the above broadcasting media...and I forsee the outcome--court! Please don't laugh.

I was with Ntl Media for some years...then, Virgin(al) Media (which would be referred to hereafter as VM) took over. I was not informed formally of this take-over...yet, I'm supposed to be a customer(who is supposed to be always right)...

This seeming problem with VM started in February 2007-when three of my services were disconnected. I came back from work one evening and tried to make an international call...the phone line was dead. What! Just to double check, I switched on the TV--most of the channels were unsubscribed...still in doubt of what was happening, I decided to switch on the PC--nagative was the result.

To say the truth, I wasn't surprised. I was actually expecting the disconnection(s) to happen.Why? Because, I didn't pay the bills for January and February.Take note, my not paying the bills was not a deliberate act--VM did not send me a bill. The last bill I paid was in December 2006...

Anyway, I went to the phone booth and placed a call to customer services. Take another note, it wasn't a free call. Anyone who is familiar with the routine can picture what I went through.
After being put on hold, and forced to listen to an off-key version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons for what felt like twelve seasons to me, I finally got in touch with someone, a human being.

We went through the usual but boring and annoying formalities--of name, account number, address and password. Then finally, he said his name is Steve Lapses' and asked how he could be of help...
I told him that my services were disconnected and I want to know why. He asked me to hang on for another minute. I waited. The 'slot machine' kept swallowing my coins. I kept adding more. Steve eventually woke up from his latent slumber and said..." I'm afraid you owe £115.21 for January and February.

I said very well. But I want you to look at that same record, and tell me if you people(VM) sent me a bill for those months you just mentioned.

All of sudden, Steve became a stutterer... "em..em ..we..re'..so..so.sor..sor..rri...rry". You are sorry for what ? I scream at him. You didn't send me a bill and now you want me to perform magic...and don't YOU dare ask me why I didn't set-up a direct debit...

Somehow, both us kept quiet for an ackward fraction of a second... Then, I decided to reprimand him by letting him know that it was VM's duty to provide the bills and my responsibity to pay such bills... I told him that the next time they fail to perform their duties and make me suffer, I will cancel the contract...its not an empty threat.

Instanter, I brought out my debit card and gave Steve the card number-with the stern warning that, it was a 'one-off'' payment. And that my services should be reconnected within 24 hours. He gave me his word. The TV came on four hours after, but the telephone and broadband were not reconnected until the next day. Fair enough.

I got the shock of my life when I came home three days after the above ordeal... and saw a reminder bill of £68.67 from VM. This was the 8 of March. My telephone was working, so I called VM immediately. I was told to ignore the bill. It was a mistake. And I said it had better be.

On the 14 of March, I received another bill...£115.21. This was an obvious mistake because that amount was the exact amount I paid for January and February over the phone. So, I ignored the bill.

Three days later, I was at work, my mobile phone rang...it was an unknown number. I answered. The voice at the other end said..." my name is Mr Horrible and I'm calling on behalf of Virgin(al) Media.." I said yes...
"...em, we calling to remind you of your outstanding bill of £115.21...and what you intend to do about it..."

I want you to imagine my state of mind at moment. All I could remember saying was..."are you mad...what bill...?" The bill that I paid two weeks ago?...what is wrong with you people...?

Out of annoyance, I called and cancelled the contract with VM.
One of their technicians came to my house with a report(my name and account no. was on it) saying he has been asked to come and fix a digital cable TV. I laughed. Do these people know what they doing...?I told him that I just cancelled my contract. He was suppose to pick up the digital box. He did picked up the box...after a confirmation call to the office.

My telephone and broadband are still working even though, I have officially terminated the contract.

They still insist that I owe them £115.21. Unfortunately, I don't have a receipt for the transaction (of the payment) I made over the phone...although, I was given an authorization number... and the reflection on my bank statement of the same amount...

If I'm owing anything at all, it should not be more than £40 for the month of March... going by my record...

I need the advise of a lawyer. If you are a lawyer reading this, please advise me for Free... because there is no point charging me for an amount which will be more than the purported bill...

13 comments:

Admin UD said...

FIRST!!!

Admin UD said...

heya, kai, i can understand your situation and frustration with the whole shit. Pele ooo.

You know what, get in contact with Law Damsel. she might be of some help.

Do have lovely weeke ahead!

Nneka's World said...

I totally understand your situation! Mine took 2 weeks for the "technicians" to tell me someone had cancelled my service by mistake on thier end and so for two weeks i stood at the phone booth under the hot sun having 15 people tell me its a technical fault, having the phone dropped on me, everything oh! I cancelled and they had the temerity to bring bill for me, if you see the way i take throw way am, nonsense!!!
I so feel you... these phone people are terrible, its amazing how nice they are to you when you first get the service and how it changes when you become a customer

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I don't normally give legal advise for free;but this situation is exceptional.
There're several options open to you:
1) You may choose to ignore the bills and continue with your normal boring life or you may choose to put a legal bite to it.

The implication however is that your credit rating will be affected for some time.

2))you can write a strong letter to VM stating your displeasure at the way they handled your a/c.This will arouse their interest and review your case.
In that letter enclose photocopies all the indiscriminate bills plus your bank statement highlighting the area that affects VM's deductions.

3)You may want to contact my office for further legal advise on this issue or any matter .I'm afraid it won't be for free.

BIAS & BIAS NOTARY
112 LOCKE COURT
SE16 5EQ
HSA, LONDON.

so-obscure said...

Mr Anonymous, in as much as I appreciate your 'legal advise', which in my opinion, is not very different from what I intend to do, you have used my 'space' to advertise your firm for free...and I think, you should pay for this.
You owe me...!

chidi said...

wonder how fustrated you must have felt

LondonBuki said...

How annoying!

In this day and age, they don't know how to update records to reflect your payment, your cancellation?

Pele... how's it going now?

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how ungrateful some clients can be. You solicited for legal advice; which i gave without charging you a dime; and all you can think of, is my address 'on what you consider your space'.
You are ungrateful, pompous, arrogant, insultive, persona non grata, ad infinitum and excetera 2.
i'll never come here again. Bye!

so-obscure said...

Zora(anonymous)...stop this nonsense. Its enough. And if you deface 'my blog' further with your abusive rant, I'll tell 'you know who' about that trip...[Lol]

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

@alex,i think soobscure need to cast a spell on you for defacing his blog with these garbage.

Anonymous said...

Debtor. Blackmailer. Squealler.