Friday, July 14, 2006

...Is it Really Good to be Back...?


I haven't been to the village in fourteen years--not because I dislike village life, but because, I have nobody familiar enough to embrace and accommodate me. Sounds very funny--isn't it?
But, thats the implication of having parents (from different cultures) who spent almost their entire lives abroad.
You are in the village as a matter of necessity. And you are like a baby learning everything anew.

You get introduced to every passer-by. This, somehow embarrasses you. Why, you do not know.
Then, those wrinkled hands of some hag--that you've always considered to be witches try to cuddle you--involuntarily, you cringe. They sense your action. But they don't say a word--instead, they look at your Dad straight in the eyes.
That look that says "its all your fault... you should have brought them to the village more often... that way, they need not be afraid of their kilt and kin..."

The village setting reminds you of the hilarous comic character called Nkem Owoh. The uptight economy has virtually turned everyone into greedy comedians. They all want more like Oliver Twist.
When you try to explain that the 'Pound-Sterling' is very difficult to get, they laugh...that kind of laughter that insinuates they understand-- but they don't; because they still continue to make these endless demands on you.

You are sympathetic. But you cannot solve all of their problems this one time...
To some, you make this empty promise...' I will send you more money when I get back...'
And to others you genuinely feel like helping...but, you are constrained by your tight budget...
So, you make the same promise...'I will send you some money when I get back...ok...

You are back. Your mortgage (loan repayment) is overdue. Your bills piled up--inspite of the fact that you were away for twenty-six days.
You sit down to reflect... but you don't feel relieved... because, you don't know which is better-- the agressive, needy villagers you fled from or the mortgagee and debt collectors whose embrace you ran into...

6 comments:

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i feel exactly the same about going to my village. i love going there and go every chance i get but there's always the people who u dont know trying to hug u, or expecting you to solve their problems as if you dont have any yourself! .... I try sha.

hope you hada great trip.

Imnakoya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Imnakoya said...

Welcome back! I hope you took lots of pictures; you never know when you'll be back there again.

Biodun said...

villages, villages, I have been 2 mine 2wice in total, I blame my parents, but the thing is I wont go there now, if they even pay me 2 go, I feel so disconnected from it n frankly its scary, I feel u on the whole bill issue, but I will take my bills any day!
Thanks for stopping by!

LondonBuki said...

Welcome Back... I don't have a village :-( I am from Lagos state so I haven't had experiences like this PLUS I haven't been back to Naija in over 8 years so I can't rmbr what it feels like to have ppl all over you like that, LOL!!!

The bill... they keep on coming!!!

Nneka's World said...

Welcome back!
Hope you are ok, missed you around the blog.

The village thing i know, everyone making demands and demanding that you are supposed to give them something.