Friday, March 31, 2006

What Could Possibly Make You Take Your Own Life...?

I had a discussion with a colleague of mine on death this morning. I wanted to know his opinion on the subject.
When I asked him what he thinks of death generally, the look on his face was that of someone who was scared.
He asked in turn... "why should we be talking about death of all the good things there are in the world to talk about..."
And I said well, "the reason why I asked him about death is because I want to know if he could kill himself. I mean, if he could commit suicide.
This time, it was the look of horror that registered on his face. He said..."what a question...!"
He paused for awhile. The silence lasted for about nineth seconds. Then, he shook his head as if to rouse himself from a kind of lethargy.
When he literarily woke up, he said..."to tell you the truth, I have never thought of suicide...not for once..."
And I said..."well, now, you've thought of it and deeply too...so what do you think...?" Is there anything in this wide world that could possibly make you take your own life...?
I decided to widen the scope for him further. Think. Anything. Be it love or love of parents, a worthy course, sickness, disability, or mercenary.... Think, I urged him.

This young man looked at me again. He turned my shoulder sharply and roughly so that he could see my face thoroughly.
He then asked..." is there something wrong...?" I responded in the negative. "Then why are you asking these 'funny' questions....I hope you are not planning to take your life...?"
I laughed. Me, take my own life. Never. And told him emphatically that nothing and I repeat nothing, in this wide world would make me take my own life. Nothing. I prefer to see life through. I would like to know how the curtail would fall. Not me pulling the curtail. I think he got the message.
Why the question on suicide then... he asked again.

I told him a young man who lived two blocks away from my apartment took his own life. He committed suicide. Since then, I have been pondering on what could possibly make a man hang himself. What could make a man force himself to the other of life when it is not his appointed time?
I asked myself several questions on this for days...
The men and women who commit suicide, are they aware that death on earth is not really the end of their existence...?
Do these people who take their own lives know that the first shock a dead man encounters is that he is still alive...though not on earth...? I don't think they know this...
If they do, then they would cherish life and endeavour to live it to its fullness...
Suicide is not an option...
This was turning into a sermon. So, I checked myself...

4 comments:

Imnakoya said...

Hey, you don't want to know what makes someone suicide. It is a serious public health issue worldwide that unfortunately commands inadequate attention it deserves.

What many of the victims needed was just simple TLC. Simple be can be hard to fine sometime.

Anonymous said...

This is one aspect of social milieu that no one, not even medical experts has been able to handl fathom.

But what we do know is that people who commit suicide are VERY VERY sick at heart.
I have heard of people who appear to have all the love showered on them. Yet, they take their own live.
It could be a combination of a variety of issues that drives them to that limit and point of no return.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
Prescription+diet+pill+usa Infiniti q45 fsm weight loss tabs slimming diet tabs slimming beam Britney spears slimming pills blackberry affects of diet pills Shop for zocor siti zocor Free pix blowjobs 1900 blouse French diet pill tramadol Diet pills for people with hypothyroidism

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»