Friday, December 23, 2005

ARE BLOGGERS UNPATRIOTIC?

Recently, I had a visit from an unwanted guest to my blogsite. Not that he is not welcomed in the true sense of the word, but, as a close friend whom I hadn't seen in years, I knew he was going to blow my lid... having 'stumbled' on my blog according to him.
Boogie, why did you leave your email address... is it because you know I will not be able to resist the urge to write you?
Anyway, I acknowledged Boogie's comment by sending him an email thus:

''hi boogie, what a surprise! Where are u now and how did u 'stumbled' on my blog... I bet prezan told u.
Anyway, how is life... ? U know the last time we saw each other, way...way back, u were going to Sokoto 4 NYSC... what happened?
Questions, upon Questions,... I can't wait to hear from''.


I have known Boogie for close to eight years prior to my travelling to the U.K. ..so, I can confidently call him my 'pal'.
Here is his reply to my email. Although, I have deleted some personal stuff from it... the essence is still intact:

...i gathered from reliable source u now work in the UK. Good for u /but what about all those ''spitfire bullshit'' we talk about while in school.
All the fervent petitions and headache we said we were going to give our bosses if... they stepped out of line, i am sure u persecuting them in Uk/ so much for PATRIOTISM.
But i tell u, u are not so much different from the rest of them ''brain- drainers...'' what happeneed to all the ''paratical'' cardinal principles of ''all before self, Comradeship and chivalry that we cherished so much...?
U know what, all u people writting or is it blogging from the comfort of ur cosy bedrooms remind of Tony Momoh- when he was a journalist and wrote all sorts of criticism about the government. U remember, ''spitfire''- that was his column then. Eventually, he was made a minister/ and it was during his tenure his brother Dele Giwa was murdered. U remmember how as a minister he became the ''manfriday'' of Babangida/ writing letters after letters to his fellow country men and women? Thats the way I see u bloggers who critize or not see anything good with Nigeria and indeed Africa. U people are not qualified to talk on things u don't see or experience.
When u come back home and u plug that computer of urs and the electricity trips off for thirteen days/ and the soup u managed to cook go bad in the frigde, and u wear rumpled clothes to ur place of work, and u are trapped in the ever present 'hold-up' for hours... maybe, just maybe, we back home would read ur articles. But for now, u people shud keep blogging, nobody reads them except those of u still outside the country...


When I finished reading Boogie's mail, I was tongue-tied, all I could do was exhale...phew! I have not replied him yet, I thought I should share this first.What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with boogie. Bloggers are only writing what they feel and the way they see their countries and some of them are still in nigeria & africa.
The one who stays home is not more patriotic than the ones outside the country.

so-obscure i did not give boogie ur site(hahahahaha)

Anonymous said...

I can relate to all he said, and really they are not nothing new, to me, even his attitude and the tone of his letter does not come across strange either.

What you may want to ask yourself is the reason you blog.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with boogie. Bloggers are only writing what they feel and the way see their countries and some of them are still in nigeria & africa.
The one who stays home is not more patriotic than the ones outside the country.

so-obscure i did not give boogie ur site(hahahahaha)

Anonymous said...

hey, i posted a comment earlier on the topic what happenned to it?

Anthony Arojojoye said...

Always remember that it's a free world.

Another thing is that other people's critism help us reflect on our positions.

so-obscure said...

BOOGIE: I was not only surprise at your reaction to part of my e-mail to you,but I am thoroughly at variant with your distasteful comments.In the first place, how do you define patriotism? Is it by staying in Nigeria and doing nothing to the plight of the ordinary man or is it by highlighting the numerous problems people are facing in their day to day activities?
Patriotism as I know it is the love of ones country and willingness to sacrifice for it.As far as I know, those who write about the ills of Obasanjo's government or any other short-coming in African leadership are monumentally more patriotic than those whose say nothing, do nothing but just grumble.