Monday, February 27, 2006

Momma, I am so Sorry...!

I have never seen a woman in the process of giving birth before.
But I have seen one or two pregnant women in sporadic pain... in readiness to give birth.
Yesterday however, I learnt something new. I watched a woman being delivered.
It was not the most pleasant sight to behold though. But, it is something I feel all matured men should see.

This woman, I was made to understand had been in labour for two hours. Her man was by her side. And you could see anguish written all over him. I felt her pain too as I watched. Each time she screams, her husband flinches and I winced involuntarily where I was seated.
Eventually, the tiny creature was shot out into the world after about four and half hour of torment. It shrilled with a wail...
My attention went back to the woman. The look on her face was that of depletion. And then I focused on the tiny creature again...the cause of the pain and anguish of both mother and father.

What immediately came to my mind was...'so this is how I came into the world'. Instantaneously, I felt guilty.
The feeling of guilt was not because I saw a woman give birth. But because, I have caused my mama alot pain and embarrassment in the past. In my estimation, all women deserve the utmost respect from their children.
And I say mama, I am sorry!

I could still recall vividly one of such embarrassing moments I caused my mum.
I had just gained admission into the university of Ibadan to study in the same department where Wole Soyinka left an indelible footprint. And wanting to follow in his(W.S) footsteps, I joined the Pyrate Confraternity. The Pyrate confraternity was a legitimate and registered organisation in the university of Ibadan then. So, we were free to carry out our activities in broad daylight.
To be a Pyrate in those days require that you have more brains than the average student. For many were called, but only few were chosen. Ahoy seadogs!

As part of the grooming process for new in-takes, you are not expected to speak to lubbers 24 hours prior to the initiation ceremony.
All those who are not pyrates are regarded as lubbers- this is a very strong term for stupid,awkward and clumsy fellows.
From sunrise, the new in-takes would come out in their Red beret. And in companies of twos or threes, they are scattered around the campus... guarding the Black Jacks- Pyrate Confraternity banners with dreadful human skull and cross-bones.
That, was your duty post. From that moment until sunset, you are not to speak to anyone who is not a pyrate.
You stand in full glare of passers-by; some of them- your roommates, others your course mates and you are not expected to blink or even as much as indicate that you know these people. Worse of all, that Black Jack MUST not be touched by anyone who is not a pyrate.

This was the day of all other days in the calendar, that my mother chose to pay me a visit in school.
It remains the most awkward moment till date for me.
Instead of running to embrace my mum, I started running away from her to avoid my talking to her.
Poor woman, she stood transfixed, looking confounded as I widened the gap between mother and son.
How that case was settled will be another tale for another day...

Seeing that tiny creature delivered, and the pain and anguish the parents went through, I felt so small and guilty.
Momma, I want you to know that I am truely sorry for all the pain I caused you!

5 comments:

LondonBuki said...

About your Pyrates thing, that is so funny!!! But not when you had to run away from your one and only mummy!!!

I have watched a couple of shows about childbirth and it is scary for any woman (let alone, man) to see such a thing. Apparently, you can't describe the pain... that's why I feel bad when I think of times I disappointed my mother - failing at school, being rude to her, I thank God I didn't do anything heartbreaking though.

Anonymous said...

ahoy!
that was terrible u dis boi.
may u break a leg and still walk strait.
may u see multitudes of seasons & sail akrux many a sea.
be gud.

Girl in the Meadow said...

LOL

Was Pyrates sorts of a cult until you can't talk to your mommy. Thanks for mommys for they can forgive. I dont think i would

Anonymous said...

Thang goodness you have repented of your ol' wayz. momma would be so proud of you now.
Keep bein'good and kno' that momma is with you all the way.
You kno' who you are.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» » »