Friday, February 03, 2006

BECAUSE OF THE CARTOON:I WAS ALMOST STRANGLED

Before leaving home this morning for work, I had to listen or is it watch the news on television. I particularly love Sky News.
There it was again, angry protesters chanting war songs and stepping on anything that is 'kickable'... The problem?

Some European newspapers have republish the controversial cartoon of prophet Muhammed(PBUH) which first appeared in Danish daily newspaper in September, 2005.
This satirical illustration of the prophet with a timed- bomb in his turban, has sparked off protest by muslims world wide. We are just hoping that these protests will not get out of hand.

About my almost being strangled, when I got to my work place, I decided to discuss the issue of this 'controversial cartoon' with two of my Muslim colleagues.
I never knew they were extremists or die-hard fanatics.
I was the one who informed them of the development.
I then proceeded to ask them... 'why is it that anytime someone(ignorantly)makes a comment about The Holy Prophet - depicting Him as anything different from their perception, all hell is let lose...Why?
One of them ( I think he is actually from Yemen) then asked me..." what will you do if people make caricature of your prophet- Jesus Christ...? I made the mistake of trying to correct him by saying... Jesus Christ is not a prophet. He is the son of God. He said..."whatever..." All I'm asking is... "what will you do...?"
I said..." me,..." of course I will do absolutely nothing!
I then asked them..."what could be more 'caricature' than nailing Him to the cross.
They both looked at me as if I don't know what I was saying or doing. Maybe they thought I was there to make a fool out of them. But I was very serious.

One of them (though I could see he was not too comfortable or he was getting worked-up)looked at me with that' I feel sorry for you and your believe' expression, and said..."look, we, muslims, we fight and if necessary, we kill anyone or group of people who try to defile our prophet and our religion..."
And I said, "what..?" " You guys are sick..." that was all I said...
One them angrily grabbed my collar and shoved me against the wall... "saying, don't you ever say I am sick again... " All I could say in a shrill voice. was..." I whas unnli qidding..."
When he eventually let go... I hurried way. Jesus H Christ! That, was a near death encounter.
Do you want to see the controversial cartoons at your own risk...? Click here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you go to a african american neighbourhood if you are white and shout "Hey you Niggers, Whats up?"
Why?

I am not for their reactions, but I am for the cause of respecting other people's beliefs and sensitivity towards what they classify untoucheable. Everybody knows that. Then why do people have to bring it up, all the time. That I still cant figure out.

There are two attitudes that lead to a peaceful community
1) Not looking for trouble

2) Not giving trouble where unecessary.it is no good to go ahead and disrespect others' religious beliefs especially where there's no point, really.

At the same time, it is not good to get offended too easily but sometimes we cant cheat nature. The nature of the religious people to react aggresively. Peace.

Anonymous said...

There is one question I will like the muslim brothers and sister to answer:
Are there no artists in the islamic world? If there are, what exactly do they 'draw' or paint?
If however there are no artists, then, it is really very sad.
These are nothing but retrogression religions.

Anonymous said...

Its pathetic that your hatred is blinding your judgement OBJ. Islam is a religion, but you dont see it beyond it been a race. I do not understand what you are inferring as the muslim word. Perhaps you meant the Arabian world?

I guess you do not have muslim friends, nor have you seen a muslim before.

Lets call a spade a spade, the newspaper shouldnt have published the cartoon. The muslims that reacted, over-reacted as usual.

so-obscure said...

At this stage, I pray that well meaning Muslims and leaders should take the lead and address this issue by calming other muslims world wide to remain peaceful.

In as much as their beliefs and sacred doctrine remained untouched by the Ugly caricature, the world has definitely learnt something from this...and I think the point has been made. Journalists the world over will learn to respect the religions of others even where they differ irrespective of the so-called freedom of speech.

Anonymous said...

You cant be serious ?

Did you report this to management or HR ?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
blackberry